Saturday, September 1, 2007

Old and new

I like new things. Some of the innovations of technology are fascinating. But I also value some things which are old. After all, wisdom was not born with this generation. There are treasures of creativity from the past and we would be crass to neglect them. Last night I was present for a programme of Salvation Army classics presented by the Camberwell and Box Hill Bands. I felt that the bandsmen prayed as well as played through their instruments and some of the music from the Army's rich musical heritage brought great inspiration to a packed congregation. By way of contrast. I also attended a men's breakfast yesterday morning when an Anglican vicar with a Salvationist background spoke of his dual role as a minister and a comedian. Some might find the mixture of worship and laughter strange but in principle it is alright by me because I think the Almighty has a sense of humour anyway.

3 comments:

Captain Collo said...

I think I am valuing the old more myself as I get older. It was great to see you again on Saturday night and thanks for the support and encouragement you continue to give us younger guys.

Unknown said...

I wanted to say too that I am appreciating more of the 'old' army. in particular, we are discussing the brass band. last year when the MSB came to toronto, i not only got to see my family and friends, but i witnessed a group of talented musicians who not only worshipped God themselves while playing, but ushered God's presence into the building. it was so powerful and beautiful.
some new things can great, but some old things should not be forgotten. as long as it brings our eyes to focus on Jesus, who cares if it is old or new!

fee said...

Whoops, that last comment was from me (I was still logged on through the Ignite program's login). Just thought I should make that clear.
Fiona