Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Leadership

I mean no disrespect to the senior leadership of The Salvation Army. After all, I was once part of it as a territorial commander for 11 years and a chief/general secretary for seven years. But I have to say that some of the best initiatives in our ovement have come from the bottom up rather than from the top down.Take the wearing of uniform, for example. Commissioner Catherine Bramwell-Booth, granddaughter of our founders, told me that it was not introduced because of an edict from headquarters but because of the desire of ordinary salvationists to show whose side they were on.
Following the recent 'Connections' convention I believe there will be many new ideas in our movement and ideas have legs! I notice a spontaneous 'Youth Speak' feature has appeared on the internet (www.beyondconnections.com.au)and I guess I will not agree with all the ideas which will be expressed but I am sure I will be thrilled by the enthusiasm engendered. After all, the literal meaning of the word enthusiam is 'full of God' and really, that is what being a salvo is all about.

1 comment:

bronze warrior said...

I believe Connections has given The Salvation Army the permission it needed to go out and do what it was called to do. I'm sure we will see much fruit from it all around Australia.