Sunday, February 28, 2010

For good or ill

My wife and I have family in Australia and the United Kingdom and have cause to give thanks for the internet conection we have with those far away. Every week we talk and laugh with our daughter, our son-in-law and two grandsons in England. Distance seems to shrink and precious relationships are strenthened for us. But the technology that can bring such a positive boon can also be a bane. I have been sickened by accounts of the way in which unscrupulous men use the net to lure children into sexual relationships. Technical advances without moral development can be disastrous and that is the biggest problem we face.

1 comment:

Hj. Schmid said...

This is an interesting topic today as I seem to have met by means of the internet the Major (?) Wesley Harris whom I first met in Margate a couple of decades ago (it must have been in the early sixties) in the SA citadel of the seaside resort Margate. I was staying there as a student, and one Sunday morning in September I came across the Salvation Army centre there. When I cautiously and curiously entered the building (I had never been to a SA meeting before) I was at once ushered to one of the last vacant seats immediately in front of the band. As it was Harvest Festival, the music and the singing were particularly enthusiastic - an unforgettable experience, particularly when people from the congregation "counted their blessings" in a very moving way. On Sunday evenings there was “community hymn singing” on the beach near the clocktower which always attracted considerable crowds. These were my first encounters with the Salvation Army which led to later meetings with Christians of the German “Heilsarmee” in Karlsruhe and Freiburg. I later studied Theology and became minister of the Evangelische Landeskirche in Baden where I now live in retirement (not far from the Blackforest). I thank God for giving me the opportunity of telling you after such a long time how these meetings inspired my faith and may have strengthened my willingness to become a messenger of the gospel myself. I send you my best wishes.
United in Christ,
Hansjoerg Schmid