Thursday, January 17, 2008

If all else fails...

I bought a new piece of computer equipment and despite being a little 'technophobic'was seeking to install it. Then in my frustration I decided that if all else failed I would read the maker's instructions.That helped a lot!

We sometimes make the same kind of mistake with regard to larger issues. We puzzle about the best course to take or the right decision to make then - eureka! - we realise that we should first read the instructions found in the bible and we discover that its ancient wisdom can be remarkably modern in its application to today's problems.

As a yound man I was contemplating marriage - a weighty decision for anyone! - when I referred to the words of Jesus in John 8.12 where he spoke about having 'the light of life'. I sought God's guidance and after more than fifty years am still married as a result of the wise decision I made.

But I could kick myself as I think of other issues about which I have foolishly fumbled instead of going first to 'the Makers' Instructions'.Still, I think I am learning at last!

No comments: